Monday, August 23, 2010

Let's Call It OldTimers

As of late I have wondered what kind of senior citizen I will make. Now, Now...I know what you are thinking...she has finally lost it and is no longer capable of normal thoughts. I say Nonsense! My contemplations over retirement are perfectly legitimate and productive if I do say so myself. You see there are several categories that seniors fall into...

1. Blue Plate Special...This particular brand of senior can usually be spotted parking their Buick crooked in the handy cap spot outside their local Coco's. They are usually wearing synthetic fabrics in pastel colors and moving like molasses. However, they are also the sweetest most gentile old folks around. They treat everyone like there own grandchildren and have an unnatural affinity for Werther's Butterscotch candies.


2. Back In My Day....The "Back In My Day" gang of older timers has decided to spend there golden years in compare and contrast mode. They are of the clear opinion that everything was different in there day and for good reason. These seniors are generally older males who at some point traipsed through a foreign land with a gun...they probably also walked to school uphill, in the snow, both ways in there one and only pair of shoes. The upside to this crew is there incredible ability for penny pinching. They seem to be able to make magic happens when it comes to frugality. The downside is that all the cans in the cupboard are dented and missing the labels...but who doesn't love a good mystery meat dinner!

 

3.Mismatched Maniacs...This group of seniors have lost all ability to match and give a whole new meaning to the phrase "marching to the beat of your own drum". For the most part, these folks have tossed conventions to the wind and thrown there middle finger at societal obligation. Napping on a park bench in the afternoon, taking up ceramics...why not! They treat life much the same as kids in a candy store and the world is there candy store. They can usually be spotted in rainbow/eclectic/boho garb and are almost always wearing a gardening hat. They tell you the stories they feel like telling instead of giving straight answers and parade around in a seemingly blissful cloud of age defiance.



Each of these old timers have there upsides and without them all our world would be a drab place. As for me... I think i'll be a hybrid senior. I can just see myself now as a mismatched old lady who sits at Coco's and tells the waiters about life "back in my day". Hey anything could happen! All I know for sure is that I want to make the most of my golden years...now all I have to do is start my career...30 years and counting!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment