Monday, September 6, 2010

Everything I Need To Know......

There is a saying floating around out there in the world somewhere that states that everything you need to know you learned in kindergarten. I would like to reformulate that statement....or shall I say correct this statement and make it into the following:

EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED FROM THE MOVIES

Now I know this probably seems like a rather odd statement coming from a teacher....the veritable soap box of educational propaganda that I am. However, there is a lot of truth to this statement because movies hit every subject matter, on every level, with every audience in mind (not all at once obviously.....although it would be the greatest, longest, and most spastastic movie ever if it did).

Nonetheless, you are still wondering how I came across this deep and meaningful insight into life, and I could, as usual, attribute it to my incredible genius and charming good looks...or I could explain the years of research that went into formulating such a magnanimous statement (I would like to add that magnanimous may or may not be the most fitting word for that sentence but I like the way it regally roles off the tongue so DEAL!)

Ok back to the research. Here are several examples of how I uncovered that everything you need to know you can learn from the movies.

HISTORY
(best subject ever so obviously we should start here)
A nearly complete, entirely redundant, and partially accurate timeline of world events can be strung together from start to finish if you watch enough movies in the right order.......for example:

Early America (check)


Civil War (check)


Early 20th Century Happenings (check)


Major War (check)


Political Controversies Of The Late 20th Century (check)


BAM! Nearly 200 years of history neatly summed up into 5 moderately historically accurate films. It takes nearly 9 months of a U.S. History course to fill a students brain with that kind of knowledge ...and at such an alarmingly high retention rate to boot! 

but oh my friends it does not stop with history.....

ENGLISH
(the next best subject there is)
English is at its essence the culmination of things that can be down with language....verbal, written, or read language. Thus, the end all be all for any good english lover is BOOKS BOOKS and more BOOKS....but this blog is about movies and as I said the movies can teach you everything you need to know! Books are no exception see.....








.....and the list goes on and on! I am quiet certain I could do this for every subject in the universe.....but I hate math and suck at science and I am sure you can see the infallible truth of my statement by this point so I rest my case. 

However, (I know I know there is always a however with me) I will still make my students do things the old fashioned way and they too can someday have the epiphany that EVERYTHING they ever learned is in a movie somewhere, and was portrayed on the silver screen with equal accuracy to what is floating around on the internet on that same topic. I am sure this realization will hit them like a ton of bricks, and when they pick themselves up off the floor they will probably blog to the universe about said epiphany and this whole thing will start all over again.

so like I said.....

EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED FROM THE MOVIES!

XOXO


  

3 comments:

  1. hahaha, you crack me up! It's so true :) And for science apparently you can just watch October Sky, because every year in science we watched it. We would tell our teachers that we had seen it before, but they didn't want to create a new lesson plan so we would watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously!...don't they know about Osmosis Jones LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure there is a way to learn math from movies too...and if not...I am not about to stop searching for one! lol

    ReplyDelete