Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Beginning is the End and the Middle

I have recently become aware of the increasing number of things in my world that are all beginning and ending at once. As a senior in college I cannot help but focus on graduation and the scary prospect of finding gainful employment in lean economic times. However, I am also in the beginning stages of new friendships and very much in the middle of old lifelong friendships. I am nearing the end of my current job and headed into the beginning of my semester of student teaching.

....and the list goes on like this. It's all beginning, and ending, and complacently settling in the middle somewhere.

Therefore, my obviously massive brain has spent a great deal of time contemplating this unique station of life in which I am currently occupying. I have found it curious that with so much new, old, first, last, and somewhere in betweens I am not a wreck! Granted I am cool under pressure (not!) and am deeply in tune with the ways of the world (pssh! yeah right). So how is it that I got here to this place and why does it not stress me out and cause me to go grey prematurely and look like a hobbit? ( I am gorgeous in case you were wondering ...hehe)

....hmmm deep thoughts and pondering.....

I've decided it is because I am 21 years old. I am single, unattached, friendly, hard working, intelligent, introspective, and completely narcissistic. Which altogether should explain that none of this is at all uncharacteristic of a person who resembles these marvelous qualities. That isn't to say that I am the only person to ever ponder these swift moving currents of change but more to suggest that I am in this beginning and ending conundrum because I am living on the precipice of monumental life changes. I am embracing and releasing my childhood as well as my adulthood. I am saying goodbye to over 20 solid years as a student and opening the door to 20 plus years as a teacher. I am planning my journey and embarking into a world that I can only partially control and create. This is a time in which it has to be all about me. I have the power to direct my life in the directions of my choosing based (almost solely) on ME ME ME!

...So yes! I am a narcissist. I love myself. I love my life.

..............and because of all of that I can blissfully dance through the many opening and closing doorways in which my life currently has to offer.

XOXO

4 comments:

  1. You are a secret English major wrapped up in a history major, you're not fooling me anymore Alyse! I'm on to you!

    I am so glad that you are writing in a blog. I think...that we all kinda did it for obvious personal reasons, but also...in a way we all sense the thought of losing touch with each other. This is our last semester together and we aren't all in the same classes and then we will be student teaching. Perhaps, a blog was our way of staying in touch with each other at least a little bit.

    I feel the same way you do about all this change. I am so excited for it and also my insides are twisting with fear. We are in for quite the ride, so let's make the most of what we have left, and yet, prepare ourselves for the next 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. deeeeep :)
    I love your post though! And I feel the same way... but I also feel like it's taking forever and graduation is still years away. I like Shannon's idea of blogging being a way for us to keep in touch (and Neil's idea of blogging being status updates for [secret] English majors)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea Alyse! A blog as a way of keeping in touch- I like it :D I am glad we got to hang yesterday! I have missed you!

    ReplyDelete