Monday, July 26, 2010

The Longest Sleepover Ever

Having a little sister is kind of like becoming the most popular girl in school when you are only 4 years old...or at least that's how it was for me. You see when I was a few months shy of my 4th birthday my parents for some reason had another child. I was obviously cute and entertaining but I guess they needed a little something more and thus my little sister was born.

At first this was very exciting and I proudly wore my "I'm a BIG sister" T-shirt everywhere. However, about a week past and I realized this sleepover wasn't ending anytime soon. Her crib occupied a crucial play time corner of my room and she cried a lot. I figured that something had to be done about this noise ordinance violator and being the clever tot that I was I had a few tricks up my sleeves. which led to...

OPERATION TOY BOX
The way that I saw it she looked like a baby doll and acted like a baby doll, so maybe, just maybe, if I treated her like a baby doll this whole business would be resolved. Soon I found my window of opportunity and so I drug her by her poor little baby arms across the house as fast as my little legs would carry me. Somehow I hoisted the small bundle of dead weight into my Playskool toy chest and closed the lid. Surprisingly, there was not objection on her part and so I went about my day. Until about 30 seconds of silence passed and my mother realized it was SILENT (p.s. children are never quiet unless something mischievous is taking place). She quickly realized my sister was not in her baby seat and said "Where is your baby sister?" with fright in her voice. Realizing that the jig might be up I decided to take the denial route and said "I don't know mommy". Soon baby noises were heard emanating from the toy chest and my mother discovered her infant calmly resting a top a heaping pile of hard plastic children's toys. Obviously, operation toy box was not a success.

Soon I realized that she was hear to stay and so I settled into the idea of having a little sister. I began to realize that from then on I had a playmate and an enemy, a captive audience, a second closet, and a new best friend. When we were little it was bickering and laughter, dress up and dump trucks. Now its bickering and laughter, dress up and drivers licences but whatever may come I can always say it's been the longest sleepover ever and I hope it never ends.


 XOXO

3 comments:

  1. Aw :) I have a little sister as well, only she is 2 and half years younger than me. What's funny is that I did the whole hiding my sister in the toy chest thing too! Only, I did it because she was sick and my parents were going to give her some medicine so I hid her in the toy chest so that she wouldn't have to taste that yucky stuff! lol

    I love this entry! It is so cute. :) You write very well Alyse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm speechless. Your an Amazing person and I promise you this sleepover business will never end. Your my best friend 'til the end.



    XOXO

    ReplyDelete