Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Silly Rabbit....Tricks Are For Kids

Most of us have pulled a few pranks in our lives. I, of course, am no exception to this rule. However, I showed up on the scene a little later then most. You see I was a good kid; what one might call a goody too shoes. I did as I was told for the most part and avoided dangerous tomfoolery like the plague. I therefore escaped elementary school with very few scars, no fillings, and no broken bones. While I was adorable and quite precocious I was not the mischievous type and no one really expected me to pull an Ashton Kutcher and start punking people for a living. So for many years I lived up to my good looks and went about being sweet and nice and forgetting all about the sugar and spice.

THEN...

I had to be a grown up and get a job. The great thing about hourly employee's is their youth. Business owners all over the place hand the keys over to the most responsible "kids" in the house and hope that their business will live to tell the tale....Or at least this was my experience working at Starbucks. You see I was the young-in being a whole 17 years old and always worked at night with the boys who were fun loving 20 somethings. All the other women who worked there at the time worked in the mornings and usually complained that we hadn't done this or that the night before. You know how ladies can be nag nag nag bitch nag nag. So slowly but surely we decided to start pulling harmless but hilarious pranks so that the morning ladies would have a real reason to have their panties in a bunch.

It started off innocently enough....

Directly below the espresso bar in our store was a double door refrigerator. The right side had assorted types of 1 gallon milk cartons. The left side had whip cream canisters, soy milk, and apple juice. When you work in a fast paced environment you start to work on auto-pilot and that fact that everything has a place makes life convenient. Its almost like doing a dance. So we decided to change the beat. We switched everything from the left side of the refrigerator to right side. So every time you reached for 2% you got soy milk and so on and so forth. Needless, to say we took there Samba to a Rave.

Then one night things were taken to up a notch...

Our store had more timers then is even remotely necessary and the nearly incessant beeping from one timer or another was the bane of our working existence. That day in particular there had been a great deal of nagging about the night crew not properly using the timers to know when coffee was expired etc. So we figured we would let them know that we were well aware of how the timers worked. A timer was set to go off at 5:50 am just before the doors were to open the next morning and then the timer was hidden. Oh but not hidden just anywhere. Those clever boys hid it in the rafters of the store up high and out of site. The next morning at the ass crack of dawn.....BEEP BEEP  BEEP BEEP BEEP..... began resonating from what I assume sounded like the heavens. What makes it twice as devious was that these particular timers will never stop beeping unless the little red button is pressed. So these ladies scoured the store and after a great deal of hunting high and low and probably going insane from all the beeping they located our secret timer hiding spot.

I am sure it goes without saying that this was nearly equivalent to a declaration of war and for the next several weeks you slept...or rather worked with one eye open. Several weak attempts at retaliation were made and eventually, the shenanigans came to a rest. However, we always new that waiting around  the corner there could be a delightfully obnoxious surprise of some sort....and every so often a caramel bottle sword fight would erupt but never to the magnitude of our glory days. Looking back I will always remember how much fun it was being 17...because you see the BEST tricks are for kids.

XOXO

4 comments:

  1. haha :) good stuff Alyse! I worked in a Coffee Shop for almost two years as well. One of these days I plan on taking you ladies there- you will never drink Starbucks again! Well, you will, because you wont want to drive 4 hours to get coffee.

    Practical jokes are pretty much always fun when you have the right people involved. My mom was queen of practical jokes and I was not outside of her realm of wrath! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol that's hilarious! SOO when are you thinking about getting back to sbucks? Cause I love that place lol
    Bt dubs. I commented on the club asu page. do u maintain that thing? cause one of these days I am just gonna leave a special coded message for Pookie... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont plan on working for sbux again but me and shannon have coffee dates there whenever we can ...of course you can come!

    I am running the Club ASU FB page for the summer while another one of our student employees is gone.

    ReplyDelete